composer, organist and teacher; b. 13th July 1894 in Łódź; d. 17th April 1960 in Łódź. In 1913 he began learning to play the organ in the class of Mieczysław Surzyński at the Music Conservatory in Warsaw. He obtained his diploma in 1914.
In 1914-21 he was in Russia, interned as a son of a Prussian citizen. He settled in Kazań, where he gave, among others private piano lessons and ran a choir. From 1917 he occasionally traveled to Moscow to study composition and the early classical counterpoint with Mikhail Ippolitov-Ivanov and to piano with Alexander Goldenweiser. After returning to Poland in 1921, he resumed his studies at the Music Conservatory in Warsaw. He studied composition with Roman Statkowski and piano with Henryk Melcer. He obtained a diploma in composition in 1932 in the class of Karol Szymanowski.
In the years 1926-39 he was a conductor of the "Lutnia" choir and other Warsaw choirs, in 1932-34 he was teaching solfeggio, music theory and he was a choir director at the Warsaw Opera School, and in 1934-1939 he taught piano and organ at the Fryderyk Chopin Music School.
He spent World War II in Warsaw, where he gave private music lessons and acted as an organist at the Church of Fathers Pallottines. In 1945 he settled in Łódź and became involved in the organization of the State Higher School of Music. From 1946 he taught music theory and organ at this institution. Until 1949 he was the dean of the Faculty of Composition and Theory of Music and from 1957 the head of the Department of Theory of Music. In 1958 he received the title of professor. From 1948 he worked simultaneously at the State Higher School of Theater in Łódź. From 1955 he also cooperated with the State Higher School of Music in Warsaw.
Kazimierz Jurdziński was a laureate of the Music Award of the city of Łódź in 1956.
updated: 2020 (ac)